Issues like relationships, sexuality, depression and anxiety bring people to my counseling and therapy practice. I’ve written dozens of articles to offer some help. They will also give you a sense of my perspective as a counselor. Many articles appeared in an earlier form in publications focused on the gay community, but the topics usually apply to all sorts of people.
If you have questions or ideas for future columns, please email me. Thank you for not copying my work without my permission — which I will be happy to give you.
Looking for a therapist?
If you’re looking for help in working through life’s issues, I’d be happy to talk with you about whether therapy can help. Feel free to call me at (404) 874-8536 or email me.
- Understanding anger
- Healthy and unhealthy anger
- Managing anger
- Anger and depression
- Avoiding conflict
- Crystal meth
- Depression and relationships
- Moving beyond hurt
- New Years resolutions
- Seasonal affective disorder
- Shame and self-esteem
- When a friend says “I have HIV”
- Balancing life and work
- Don’t take it personally!
- Drama and happiness
- Finding passion and meaning in life
- How change happens
- Letting go of illusions
- Passionate living
- Thriving as we get older
Better communication in relationships
- Communicating thoughts and feelings with your partner
- Email, texting and communication
- How to argue with your partner
- Improving communication
- Thoughts, feelings and clear communication
Maintaining a healthy relationship
- Changing the dynamics of your relationship
- Changing your perspective
- Enhancing romance
- Expressing anger
- Fighting fair
- Negotiating sex outside the relationship
- Partners are more than friends
- Quality time in a busy world
- Relationship scripts
- Relationships and relatives
- Restoring trust in a relationship
- Talking about sex with your partner
- Traveling together
- What makes a relationship a healthy one?
- When sex gets boring
Starting or ending a relationship
I’ve written about dating and sexuality for several gay men’s publications over the years. Those articles can be found here.